Events and Attractions
To enhance your visit, you will want to check out some of the great activities and attractions in the region. A partial list appears below and our concierge can always provide more!
Town Tinker Tube Rentals - Tube down the Esopus Creek ! Phoenicia, NY
- Ashokan Reservoir – a giant man-made lake with fishing, boat rentals and big fun.
- Belleayre Mt. Ski Center – http://www.belleayre.com great skiing in winter and great concerts in July and August. Ask us about LIFT TICKETS !
- Belleayre Music Festival - http://www.belleayremusic.org
- Belleayre Beach – http://www.belleayre.com/summer/lake.htm
- Catskill Forest Preserve – steps from your cabin are hundreds of hiking trails
- Catskill Artisans Guild – incredible co-op shop of all Catskill made fine arts and crafts
- Delaware and Ulster Rail Road Tours - http://durr.org/
- Fleischmanns Museum of Memories – quaint country museum full of local history
- Hanah Country Club –one of many great golf courses in the region
- Kenneth Wilson State Park – Between Shandaken and Woodstock – Swimming and day use area
- Maverick Concerts – classical music in the summer in another historic Woodstock location
- Opus 40 – a former granite quarry turned into a surreal sculpture park
- Pepacton Reservoir – open for canoes, kayaks, row boats and sail boat
- Phonecia – Neighboring town with great restaurants
- Pine Hill Lake (Belleayre Beach) – swimming, paddle boats and a neat beach at the foot of Belleayre Mt.
- Plattekill Mt. Ski Center – http://www.plattekill.com - great skiing in winter and mountain biking in summer
- Roxbury Arts Group – year round cultural activities from plays and concerts to art shows and sales
- Roxbury Nine & Fleischmanns MAC – Turn of the century baseball with 19th. Century rules and uniforms
- Tennis – Free at many local courts.
- Woodstock Playhouse – year ‘round theater in a venerable old summer stock playhouse
- Zume Floom – http://www.zoomflume.com - take the kids to the area’s most popular waterpark
Popular annual events in the region include:
TROUT FISHING SEASON OPENS APRIL 1st !
Buy Fishing License ONLINE HERE: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/fishing.html
For Local events check out:
- Last weekend in June – Antique Car Show – Big Indian Park
- Early July – Firemen’s Field Days in Margaretville – Old fashioned carnival with rides, games of chance, food and souvenirs . Also features fireworks, bands and old-fashioned chicken bar-b-cues.
- First Saturday in August – Margaretville Hospital Flea Market – Hundreds of dealers, thousands of visitors.
- Last Saturday in August – Margaretville Street Fair – Main Street closed to traffic all day – merchants and vendors offer up great fun and super deals.
- Last Saturday in August – Shandaken Day – Fun fair events from morning to night in one of Shandaken’s unique hamlets
- Early July – Firemen’s Field Days in Margaretville – Old fashioned carnival with rides, games of chance, food and souvenirs . Also features fireworks, bands and old-fashioned chicken bar-b-q.
- First Saturday in August – Margaretville Hospital Flea Market – Hundreds of dealers, thousands of visitors.
J Rocco Steakhouse & Speakeasy ~ 7159 Hwy 28 - Shandaken, NY 12480
Brio’s Pizzeria & Restaurant ~ 64 Main Street - Phoenicia, NY 12464 http://www.brios.net
Getting to Belleayre Mountain, New York’s Winter Snow Park, Without a Car
Just a couple of hours from Manhattan, in the middle of land declared “forever wild” by the New York State Forest Preserve in 1885, lies a ski center with steep, rugged inclines, gentle beginner’s hills and a cozy main lodge with a roaring fireplace.
Those looking for the perfect winter escape will find it here -A Rail Park, Terrain Park and Half Pipe, 9- acres of cross-country skiing, plenty of après ski nightlife and new wellness “Ski Therapy” program including morning yoga promises something for everyone – even those looking for nothing more than pristine woods and clean, crisp air.
- 171 skiable acres with 96% of terrain covered by snowmaking
- Rail Park, Terrain Park, Half Pipe
- 8 lifts, 47 trails, glades & parks – 22% beginner; 58% Intermediate; 20% Expert
- 4 lodges
- 9.2 kilometers of X-Country trails
- Equipment rentals & lessons
- Hrs of Operation: Lodges, 8 AM–5 PM; Lifts, 8 AM–4 PM
Get There Without Diving:
Adirondack Trailways Ski or Snowboard Bus To Belleayre
Take a comfortable Trailways bus from New York City, Ridgewood, New Paltz, Rosendale, Kingston and Woodstock right to the mountain. The bus operates northbound from NYC on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays & Mondays only, and southbound from Belleayre Mountain on a daily basis.
Pine Hill Trailways Schedule to Belleayre
|LV New York City||7:00 AM||Fri- Mon. only|
|LV Ridgewood||7:30 AM||Fri- Mon. only|
|LV New Paltz||8:35 AM||Fri- Mon. only|
|LV Rosendale||8:48 AM||Fri- Mon. only|
|LV Kingston||9:10 AM||Fri- Mon. only|
|LV Woodstock||9:30 AM||Fri- Mon. only|
Arrive at Belleayre Mountain: 10:15 AM
Pine Hill Trailways Schedule from Belleayre
|LV Belleayre Mountain||4:16 PM||Daily|
|AR Woodstock||5:00 PM||Daily|
|AR Kingston||5:20 PM||Daily|
|AR Rosendale||5:42 PM||Daily|
|AR New Paltz||5:55 PM||Daily|
|AR Ridgewood||7:10 PM||Daily|
Arrive in New York City: 7:40 PM Daily
Fees (includes one-day lift ticket):
New York City and Ridgewood: $81.00
New Paltz: $52.50
Kingston: $47.50 Woodstock: $47.50
*IMPORTANT NOTICE* Anyone traveling to Belleayre on the Adirondack Trailways bus should call ahead and reserve their equipment. Call 845-254-5600 ext 2449.
Or Take Ulster County Area Transit For FREE!
Belleayre Mountain has teamed up with Ulster County Area Transit (UCAT) on a free round-trip ski bus to Belleayre. Board the bus at Kingston Plaza (Hannaford’s) and tell them you want to go skiing. UCAT will drop you off right at the lodge, free of charge.
You can also pick up the bus anywhere along its route by standing in a location where it’s safe for the bus to stop, and flagging the bus down with a clear hand signal. For more information, please call UCAT at 845-340-3333 or toll free at 888-827-8228.
Leaving Kingston Plaza: 8:45 am – 2:15 pm
Route 28 – West Hurley: 8:50 am – 2:45 pm
Route 28 – Shokan: 9:15 am – 3:10 pm
Route 28 – Boiceville: 9:20 am – 3:15 pm
Route 28 – Mount Tremper: 9:25 am – 3:20 pm
Phoenicia – Main Street: NS – 3:25 pm
Route 28 – Shandaken: 9:35 am – 3:30 pm
Route 28 – Pine Hill: 9:40 am – 3:35 pm
Arrives at Belleayre Mountain: 9:45 am – 4:00 pm
Leaving Belleayre Mountain: 9:45 am – 4:00 pm
Route 28 – Pine Hill: 9:50 am – 4:05 pm
Route 28 – Shandaken: 10:00 am – 4:15 pm
Phoenicia – Main Street: 10:10 am – 4:25 pm
Route 28 – Mount Tremper: 10:15 am – 4:30 pm
Route 28 – Boiceville: 10:20 am – 4:35 pm
Route 28 – Shokan: 10:25 am – 4:40 pm
Woodstock Village Green: 10:40 am – 4:55 pm
Route 212: 10:40 am – NS
Saugerties PO: 11:00 am – NS
Mall Area: 11:15 am – NS
Arrives at Kingston Plaza: NS – 5:15 pm
Monday – Friday Schedule:
Leaving Kingston Plaza: 8:45 am – 11:45 am – 2:30 pm
Route 28 – West Hurley: 8:50 am – 11:50 am – 2:35 pm
Woodstock: 12 noon – 2:45 pm
Route 28 – Shokan: 9:15 am – 12:15 pm – 2:55 pm
Route 28 – Boiceville: 9:20 am – 12:20 pm – 3:00 pm
Route 28 – Mount Tremper: 9:25 am – 12:25 pm – 3:05 pm
Phoenicia – Main Street: NS – NS – NS
Route 28 – Shandaken: 9:30 am – 12:30 pm – 3:15 pm
Route 28 – Big Indian: 9:35 am – 12:35 pm – 3:20 pm
Route 28 – Pine Hill: 9:40 am – 12:40 pm – 3:25 pm
Arrives at Belleayre Mountain: 9:45 am – 12:45 pm – 4:00 pm
Leaving Belleayre Mountain: 9:45 am – 12:45 pm – 4:00 pm
Route 28 – Pine Hill: 9:50 am – 12:50 pm – 4:05 pm
Route 28 – Big Indian: 9:55 am – 12:55 pm – 4:10 pm
Route 28 – Shandaken: 10:00 am – 1:00 pm – 4:15 pm
Phoenicia – Main Street: 10:10 am – 1:05 pm – 4:20 pm
Route 28 – Mount Tremper: 10:15 am – 1:10 pm – 4:25 pm
Route 28 – Boiceville: 10:20 am – 1:15 pm – 4:30 pm
Route 28 – Shokan: 10:25 am – 1:20 pm – 4:35 pm
Woodstock Village Green: 10:40 am – 1:30 pm – 4:50 pm
Route 28 – West Hurley: 10:55 am – 1:35 pm – 4:55 pm
Arrives at Kingston Plaza: 11 am – 1:45 pm – 5:00 pm
Other Things To Do:
The quaint, artist’s haven, Woodstock, is within 15 minutes of Belleayre with terrific shopping, galleries, restaurants and night-life. Or make Kingston your base camp where there are museums, galleries, shopping, theater and, for those looking for less rigorous outdoor activity, snow tubing at Sawkill Family Ski Center.
No Car Required In Ulster County
Looking for a way to get to Ulster County without taking a drive up the New York State Thruway?
If you don’t have a car, or just want to cut down on your carbon impact, you can visit Ulster County by using one of the many transportation resources available.
TO GET HERE:
TAKE THE BUS
Adirondack—Pine Hill—New York Trailways Bus Service
1-(800)-776-7548; (845)-331-0744; email@example.com
Trailways runs convenient, easy-to-use coach bus service from Port Authority to New Paltz, Rosendale, Kingston, Saugerties, Woodstock and Shandaken seven days a week. On Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, service can be as frequent as hourly. You can even bring your bike by simply purchasing a Bike Box for it at Port Authority. For schedules and fares go to: www.trailwaysny.com/html/english/fares.asp
TAKE THE TRAIN
MTA Metro-North Railroad—Hudson Line to Poughkeepsie:
Schedules, Fares, & Senior /Disabled Accessibility: 1-(212)-532-4900
Grand Central Terminal Ticket Office Hours: Daily; 5:00 AM–2:00 AM
Poughkeepsie Station Ticket Office Hours: Daily, 6:10 AM-9:00 PM
MetroNorth runs frequent, convenient service from Grand Central Station to Poughkeepsie, NY seven days a week. Service is fast and easy, and Ulster County runs supporting bus service to and from the Poughkeepsie train station.
For MTA Metro-North schedules and fares go to: as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_form.cfm
For Ulster-Poughkeepsie MTA Link Schedule go to: www.mta.info/mnr/html/UlsterLoop.pdf
(Or call Ulster County Tourism: 1-(800)-342-5826 to receive a schedule)
Amtrak from Penn Station, New York City & other locations nationwide to Rhinecliff:
Schedules, Fares & Customer Service: 1-(800)-USA-RAIL 1-(800)-872-7245
To get to Kingston and other northern sections of Ulster County take Amtrak to Rhinecliff.
Once there you can use Enterprise Rent-A-Car’s drop off service to have a car waiting for you or hop into a taxi to your Ulster County destination (see list below).
For Amtrak schedules and fares go to: www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/HomePage
Taxis/Car/Limo Service from Rhinecliff Train Station:
Blue Top Taxi/Kingston Kabs/Koyote Kabs:
Blue Top services the Rhinecliff Amtrak and Metro North Depot: (845)-758-8294
Kingston Kabs services Kingston, Woodstock, Saugerties and Port Ewen: (845)-331-8294
Koyote Kabs provides service to Highland, New Paltz and Rosendale: 1-(845)-255-1800
A Black Tie Limousine, Car & Carriage Service
A county-wide luxury limousine, car, and horse and carriage service. All vehicles are new models and detailed to perfection. 18 Passenger Limousine Coach available for large groups or wine tours.
Service from Rhinecliff Amtrak or Metro-North Poughkeepsie: (845)-246-1133
J & K Taxi Service (Kingston area): (845)-471-7474
When its time to leave take Adirondack—Pine Hill—New York Trailways, Amtrak from Rhinecliff or Metro-North from Poughkeepsie back to New York City and other destinations. And please come back again soon!